Why Should You See a Chiropractor?
October is National Chiropractic Health Month. When you think of chiropractic health, you probably think about your back. Chiropractors treat the spine through adjustments, but there are many reasons to see a chiropractor. Why should you see a chiropractor? Below are the top reasons people come into our clinic for treatment:
- Low back pain. Pain in the lower back, or lumbar region, is a common problem. When someone “throws their back out” it is often a lower back symptom. Back pain is one of the most common reasons to see a chiropractor.
- Neck pain. Stiffness and pain in the neck and shoulders can be due to a pinched nerve or misalignment of the spine. Getting a chiropractic adjustment can alleviate symptoms.
- Headaches and migraines. Your head sits on top of the spine. It only makes sense that headaches can often be caused by parts of the spine being out of alignment. When the back and neck are adjusted it can relieve pressure that is resulting in a headache.
- Pain and tingling in the extremities. Sciatic pain in the legs and tingling and numbness in the extremities is all coming from the spine. The spine holds all of your nerves and a misalignment or subluxation of the spine can put pressure on those nerves, causing pain or numbness.
- Car accidents. Being in a car accident is no fun. You may not realize at first how the collision affected your body. Often victims of a car accident won’t feel the pain until the next day. An accident is an important reason to see a chiropractor. The force of the collision impacts your body, just like it does your car. You may not have immediate visible injuries, but your spine may be affected.
- Sports performance. Many of our patients are student athletes or adults who participate in sports. Sports can take a toll on your body through repetitive motion and impact. Flexibility is key to avoiding injury and peak performance. Chiropractic adjustments help keep your spine and body moving and flexible.It improves range of motion for better performance.
Although these are the top reasons to see a chiropractor, there are many added benefits that patients discover from regular chiropractic care:
- Less medication. When you treat the root cause of back pain, neck pain or headaches, the symptoms go away. That results in taking less pain medication. Every medication has side effects and the less you take, the better for your body. Sometimes patients find that they can reduce or eliminate other medications due to overall better health.
- Better sleep. Sleep is critical to good health. Sometimes poor sleep quality is due to pain and discomfort. As your spine becomes more aligned and chronic pain is eliminated, sleep often improves as well. Better sleep directly equates to having more energy for your daily tasks and responsibilities.
- Stronger immune system and better overall health. The spine is the pathway of the nervous system. The nervous system affects everything our bodies do. When the spine is aligned it helps strengthen your immune system, which leads to better health and fewer trips to the doctor.
- Allergy relief. When the spine is aligned and the nervous system is functioning properly, your immune system is better able to fight off allergens. Getting an adjustment can also help relieve sinus pain and pressure.
- Stress relief. While we often think of stress as external things that happen to us, it affects our body. You may “feel” your stress in the form of pain and tension. Getting an adjustment helps release the stress and tension in your body and helps you feel your optimal self.
- Easier pregnancy and labor. During pregnancy, joints are looser and your body adds a considerable amount of weight in a short period of time. All this puts a strain on your body that can cause pain, sleep problems and other discomforts. Keeping your spine in alignment not only helps alleviate problems during pregnancy, it can lead to a smoother delivery. There is also a special spinal manipulation that can help turn breech babies so the mother can avoid a c-section. Dr. Ty Hall has advanced certification in the Webster Technique and treating pregnant women.
The main reasons to see a chiropractor may be about your spine, but chiropractic care can benefit your body in many different ways. Whether you are experiencing pain or want to improve your overall health, schedule an appointment with East Valley Chiropractic. During your initial consultation, Dr. Ty Hall will evaluate your spine and share recommendations on how to improve your health.